One of our goals at Michigan Founders Fund is to help startup leaders become community leaders. We are doing this by building real, long-term relationships with community leaders and impact-focused organizations while helping Members both learn from and contribute to these efforts.
The end of the year is a time for giving and there are so many ways you, your family, and your team can positively impact the community. Below are a few opportunities we recommend.
Detroit Black Farmer Land Fund’s Erin Preston Johnson Bevel accepts the MFF Community Trailblazer Award on behalf of her co-stewards.
Make an Impact Right Now
1. Support the MFF Community Trailblazers – This year, we recognized three organizations advancing racial justice in Michigan. Make the MFF contribution go even further by making a personal donation to these organizations:
- Detroit Black Farmer Land Fund provides grants and technical assistance to Black farmers in Detroit to purchase the land they farm. Donate here.
- Detroit Phoneix Center supports wrap-around and critical services for unhoused youth and young adults in Metro Detroit. Donate here.
- MADE Institute provides comprehensive services to Flint citizens returning to the community from the criminal justice system. Donate here.
2. Sponsor a youth and their family for the holiday season with Detroit Phoenix Center. DPC is looking for individuals and groups to purchase holiday gifts and basic needs for young people and their families. Learn more and sign up here. Gift drop off in Detroit is Dec 17. (Want to sponsor but can’t do the drop-off? Contact [email protected] and we can help!)
3. Volunteer at an organization near you. There are countless opportunities to donate your time this holiday season. Here are just a few from across the state:
- Metro Detroit: Capuchin Soup Kitchen – Prepare and serve meals or sort and distribute clothes to those in need. Learn more here.
- Ann Arbor Area: Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels – Deliver meals to homebound seniors and adults. Learn more here.
- West Michigan: Baxter Community Center – Distribute holiday baskets to neighbors in need across the community. Learn more here.
- Lansing Area: Burcham Hills – Spend one-on-one time with seniors or bring your friendly pet for a visit. Learn more here.
- Marquette Area: Berry Events Center – Support Feeding America’s mobile pantry packing boxes, registering clients, and more. Learn more here.
4. Want to plan a team-wide event? Contact [email protected] and we can help coordinate a volunteer event for you and your team at any point in the year.