2023 MFF Internship Program
Michigan’s tech startup and venture capital ecosystems continue to grow at a rapid pace but the talent within this community is often disproportionate to the diversity found across the state. More than a quarter of Michigan’s population identifies a racial or ethnic minority and about half of the population is women. But according to a recent Michigan Venture Capital Association report, of the $2.8 billion invested into Michigan startups, only 15% were led by a person of color and 12% were led by women.
In an effort to change this trajectory, the Michigan Founders Fund has partnered with leaders in tech, startups, and education to launch the MFF Internship Program. Our goals are to:
- Provide an opportunity for underrepresented students in Michigan to gain exposure to tech entrepreneurship and professional experiences that can equip them to pursue careers as startup leaders and founders;
- Allow tech companies the opportunity to develop and strengthen diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives and to reach new talent across the state.
Applications for the 2023 Internship Program are now closed. We will announce the 2023 interns in May.
Want to learn more about previous years? Learn about the 2022 program here and the 2021 program here.
Dec 2022 – March 1, 2023: Applications Open & Info Workshops
Applications are due no later than 11:59 pm on March 1. Students are encouraged to participate in an Info Session & Resume Workshop to get more information on the program and improve your resume. General info sessions will be hosted virtually on the dates and times below. Feel free to contact [email protected] to schedule an info session for your student group, classroom, or university program.
- Info Workshop #1 – Dec 21 at noon (register here)
- Info Workshop #2 – Jan 17 at 5 pm (register here)
- Info Workshop #3 – Feb 14 at 11 am (register here)
Feb 24 from 12:00 – 2:15 pm: Meet Michigan’s Startup Ecosystem & Effective Interviewing Workshop (Virtual & Open to all Michigan Students)
Students across the state are encouraged to participate in a virtual session to learn about Michigan’s startup ecosystem. Select startups and tech companies hiring for this year’s internship program will be at the event and excited to engage with students! Students are also encouraged to stay for the second hour to learn tips and practice interviewing skills! RSVP here.
March 13: All applicants will be notified if they have moved to the next round of the application process.
March: Student Role Preferences
Student semi-finalists will receive all available internship roles with participating companies and identify which roles they’re interested in.
March – April: Interviewing & Offers
Select students will have the opportunity to interview with and receive offers from companies with available roles. Interns who have made it to the final round with hiring companies can expect to have offers by early May.
May – August: Internship Program
Selected interns work at their companies through the summer while participating in monthly skill-building workshops and monthly relationship-building sessions with the intern cohort. The kick-off event is expected to be in person in downtown Detroit and is tentatively scheduled for May 10 from 4 – 6:00 pm.
July: Celebration & Student Networking Event
All interns, university students, and companies across the MFF network are encouraged to attend a networking event to help students learn more about startups and grow their network! This event is expected to be in person in Downtown Ann Arbor and is tentatively scheduled for July 25 from 5 – 7:00 pm.
August: Intern Reflection & Program Close
Internships will end in August and we will do a special session to close out the program for the year with all interns!
This internship is intended for Michigan undergraduate college students who are underrepresented in the tech industry.
- To be eligible, students must be at least one of the following identities:
- Black, Indigenous, or People of Color (BIPOC)
- Women, gender non-conforming, or nonbinary
- Priority will be given to students who are permanent residents of Michigan
- Applicants must be 18 years or older by May 2023 and enrolled as a first-time undergraduate at a Michigan university or community college
- Applicants must:
- Be able to work at least 20 hours per week virtually and/or in-person (depending on the hiring company) for the duration of the internship;
- Commit to participating in monthly cohort workshops from April – August and take advantage of mentorship opportunities;
- Have an interest in growing their career in Michigan startups or tech companies.
Applicants are encouraged to participate in an Info Session (details above) and review the full application before applying below. View the application here. Applicants must be submitted by 11:59 pm on March 1. Contact [email protected] with questions.
Students are welcome to supplement their application by having a current or former teacher/professor, employer, coach, counselor, mentor or advisor submit this Recommendation Form by March 1.