By Emily Samar, Emerging Talent & Ecosystem Engagement Program Lead
Before we dive into our end-of-year rituals, traditions, and celebrations, we are excited to announce that the 2024 Emerging Talent Program Application is open!
Formerly known as the Internship Program, the Emerging Talent Program is our gateway for socially and economically marginalized (SEMI) postsecondary students. It aims to provide exposure to entrepreneurship and professional opportunities to empower them for a thriving career in the startup community. Our program goals are simple yet impactful:
Elevate Student Potential:
- Offer SEMI students in postsecondary college or training programs (certification & Bootcamp) a distinctive learning experience.
- Enhance their professional competencies, expand their networks, and provide exposure to founders and Michigan’s rapidly growing startup ecosystem.
Promote Diversity, Equity, Belonging, and Inclusion in Tech:
- Facilitate opportunities for tech companies to fortify diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Extend outreach to new talent across the state through collaborative roundtable workshops and personalized 1:1 sessions designed for hiring organizations in partnership with Thrive and Shine LLC.
New This Year
We’ve revamped this year’s program design with a clear purpose – for MFF to create an even more inclusive program design by fostering inclusivity and elevating and enhancing the learning experience.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into what’s new this year:
Student workshops will happen before interviews and internships begin.
- The shift in programming will allow each student to build their professional toolkit, brush up on their resume, and prepare for interviews before the time MFF shares candidate profiles with the hiring organizations participating in the program.
We’ve expanded the eligibility of the program to include training program students.
- In addition to 2-year community college students and 4-year university students, the program is now open to training programs (certification and Bootcamp) for students.
- Note: The program will remain closed to Graduate & MBA students, but the MFF team is exploring ways to add this pathway to future programming.
The hiring organizations will be open exclusively to MFF members.
- Hiring organizations participating in the MFF Emerging Talent Program will only be open to MFF members.
- Over the past year, MFF memberships have doubled, and the team has been busy creating opportunities for founders to continue finding ways to build and scale their operations.
Program Benefits & Achievements
Year after year, MFF has proven that the Emerging Talent Program (formerly the Internship Program) is beneficial. Below, you will find some key highlights we are particularly proud of:
- Since 2021, we’ve supported 42 SEMI college students in securing paid summer internships at Michigan startups.
- Over 200 students have participated in our informational sessions and skill-building workshops.
- In 2024, we’re taking things up a notch, promising more opportunities for scale and growth across the Great Lakes state.
If we haven’t sold you on the program yet, here are some additional program benefits for students and hiring organizations:
- Develop skills for professional advancement.
- Network with and learn about high-growth startups.
- Opportunity to interview for a paid summer internship.
- Exposure to “real-life” project work during your internship.
For Hiring Organizations
- Access DEIB training tools.
- Raise awareness about DEIB best practices.
- Tap into a pool of talented interns.
- Support with project work and boost team morale.
Eligibility & Qualifications
We invite everyone who is qualified, eligible, and interested to apply and help spread the word! However, there are some factors to consider, so check out our application page for more details.
Folks Who’d Benefit Most
One of the fundamental aspects of this program is that it does the most for the people who need it most. Shoutout to a former employee who came up with this saying, as it still rings true after your time with the org has ended.
Nevertheless, once you have a chance to review the application, knowing you are qualified but are still unsure, it might be helpful to spend some noodling over the questions below to see if this program is right for you.
- Do you have little to no employment experience in the startup/tech space?
- Are you motivated by growth and eager to learn?
- Do you love complex projects, embrace flexibility, and are open to change?
- Are you interested in growing your career at Michigan startups and tech companies?
Now is Your Chance to Apply!
Don’t hold back – apply now if you’re eligible and qualified. If your resume feels a bit lacking, worry not; our program is designed to help you build your professional toolkit and will provide a framework for writing a top-notch resume.
The application closes at 11:59 pm on Sunday, February 11, and late submissions will not be reviewed. For inquiries, contact us at [email protected].
Ready to make 2024 your year of career transformation? Apply now and embark on a journey of growth and possibilities!